Selsun Selenium Sulfide 2.5% Shampoo
Selsun selenium sulfide 2.5% suspension shampoo is manufactured by the reputable company Abbott. It contains 2.5% concentration of strong selenium sulfide as an active ingredient. Selsun shampoo is used to treat dandruff, tinea versicolor and certain types of dermatitis and inflammation of scalp due to excessive oil secretion like seborrhoeic dermatitis.
The shampoo works against dandruff in two ways – by reducing the greasiness of the scalp and by slowing down the growth of the dandruff-causing layer of skin cells.
How Does Selsun Shampoo Work?
The shampoo with selenium sulfide effectively destroys certain types of fungus called dermatophyte. It also causes a reduction in the production of dandruff-causing cells and follicles in the top layer of the skin as well as the amount of natural oil/sebum produced by the sebaceous skin glands.
How to Use Selsun Selenium Sulfide Shampoo?
For Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Dandruff
Apply twice a week for two weeks. Use once a week for the next 3-4 weeks if required. The shampoo should not be applied more frequently than required.
- The shampoo is for external use only.
- Use the shampoo as per directed by your doctor.
- Shake the bottle well before using Selsun shampoo.
- Wet your hair, take enough amount of shampoo and cover all the affected area with a very delicate area of suspension
- Leave it on for 2-3 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat the treatments as directed by the physician.
For Tinea Versicolor
- Take a small amount of shampoo and apply to the affected areas and lather with some water.
- Allow the shampoo to remain on the skin for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the body thoroughly
- Repeat the process every day for 7 days.
- Avoid contact with eyes. In case of accidental contact, wash thoroughly with cool water.
- Avoid contact with jewellery as it may discolour the metallic jewellery.
- Don’t use the shampoo if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Should not be used on open wounds, broken or inflamed skin.
- Keep away from the reach of children.
- Not to be used by the women who are pregnant or planning to become or are breast-feeding.
Side Effects of Selsun Shampoo
You may experience side effects of using Selsun selenium sulfide 2.5% shampoo such as skin irritation, increase in normal hair loss. Oiliness and dryness of hair and scalp with other shampoos might occur. If you experience any allergic reaction, stop using the shampoo and contact your doctor immediately.